History of the Cemetery
In December, 1876 a committee was formed to select a site for a municipal cemetery in Wallasey. The decision depended upon the suitability of the soil and fifteen sites were surveyed, including Mill Lane, Grove Road and Seabank Road. At least eight different sites were seriously considered. Nearly two years later three sites, at Manor House, Earlston and the land at the Grammar School, were still in the running. They ranged in value from ten to eleven thousand pounds. Eventually, the Earlston site was chosen and the cemetery officially opened in 1883, after completion in 1882.